Saturday, April 28, 2012

To Build A Kennel

Step 1: Have a deadline-  In our case it was 7 days.

Step 2: Decide where the kennel is going to be built. (This was Dad’s decision and it was decided to build it by our red pole shed)

Step 3: When the location of kennel has been determined, analyze what must be done to prepare the sight for building.

Step 4: Proceed to prepare the sight for building. In our case this meant a) moving the scrap iron pile, that has been accumulating behind the red shed for as long as I can remember. b) cutting down a dead tree c)moving the old barn top that really needs to be “demodeled” [Hey, I know that really isn’t a word, but it sounds good! In other words, the barn top needs to be tore down. --- But not this week! So for now it just got shoved out of the way. You will see it in the background of some of the pictures below]   d) hauling in some dirt to finish filling in the trench from the water line that was dug last fall, and leveling the building site up.  e) And moving the barn top meant that part of the sheep fence had to be redone.  (I’ll spare you the pictures of this step, pictures of moving “junk” aren’t very appealing.)

Step 5: Buy the supplies… Wooden and steel fence posts, 6 foot chain link fence, gates, and other miscellaneous hardware.

Step 6: Stake out the perimeter of the kennel and set the wooden corner posts. Then set a post on each side of the corner posts and brace them using pipe and wire.
DSC07883DSC07884

Step 7: Dig a 1 foot deep trench all the way around to bury part of the fence.  Although I was at school all day, I was told that Matt and Laura did most of the digging, with minimal help from Dad and Nate.  This pen has a 100 ft perimeter… That’s a lot of digging! Good work Matt and Laura!
DSC07887DSC07890DSC07888

Step 8: Install fence, attach it to posts, and bury it by filling the trench back in.

Step 9: Install double gate security system.  So if dog happens to come with you through the first gate, there is still one more to stop him. My family saw this idea while visiting a neighbor’s kennel and thought was a very good idea.  Pictures below.
DSC07892DSC07894DSC07895

Step 10: Add what ever else you think you might need, in our case, it was some stake-outs, to that the dogs may be chained inside the kennel if necessary. (We are hoping these won’t be needed but are going to be prepared – for once.)

Step 11: DONE!!! 
DSC07897 

Well, okay, we’re not quite ready for dogs, since they were going to build doghouses, but a neighbor loaned us one for the time being.

I am pretty impressed with all that my family got done this week.  I can’t take any credit for any of it, because as usual, I spent the week at school and doing homework.   I think it’s a pretty good looking kennel and Mom thinks it should hold a Brahama bull!  My family put in some long days and worked late in the evening a couple times, which shows that there is nothing like a deadline to help you get ready for something.  Why a 7 day deadline? –Stayed tuned for more news coming soon!

P.S. One remaining step…

Step 12: Get dogs to try it out!

1 comment:

G'ma said...

Whew!! I'm all tired out just reading about it....