Saturday, May 29, 2010

Haymaking has Started

Yesterday we started cutting our 1st crop hay. We cut 3 fields, today we made 2 of those fields in to balage. I have sunburnt arms to prove that I have not been outside enough this spring. I could be in for a painful day or so. Oh well, this means I have my burn for the summmer. After this the sun doesn't bother.

Although making hay loses it's excitement after the first few rounds, sometimes there are things that happen to keep it exciting. Yesterday I got a see 2 geese families swiming around on a pond. The babies are cute swimming after their parents. Today I saw 3 sandhill cranes, they were in a corn field and crossed the road. That was when I saw the little baby crane. I got off the tractor and watched them for a a bit. I wished I had my camera.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Aren't you an advocate of sunscreen? :-)

Amy said...

There are a few geese families living by one of the strawberry farm's irrigation ponds too. Sometime last week while we were weeding about 35 more geese flew overhead and decided to drop in for a visit. They were pretty funny to watch.

Em said...

I had sunscreen on but I still burned. I must not have put enough on or something.

Emily said...

You're right, that does happen when you are in the sun all day.

Amy, that was funny when all those geese landed in the pond. Then they all went to sleep in a row along the bank, with their necks all pointing the same direction.

Amy said...

I was tempted to walk over to the row of geese and say, "I have called you all here today because..."

Em said...

That's funny that they were all in a line. The geese where on the field yesterday but they flew away when I came around with the tractor and rake. The little geese all went splashing into the pond which was just across the fence.

Emily said...

Since we're talking about winged waterfowl, yesterday we saw a family of geese that had 12 babies! It must be hard for the parents to keep track of that many.