Saturday, February 12, 2011

Valentines Cookies!

I don’t usually take time to make fancy cookies. When I make cookies I quadruple the batch and make some kind that you just scoop onto the tray and when it comes out the the oven you are done. Fancy cookies can be fun but they can take forever.

But today I decided that since Valentines day is coming up and we are having company for dinner tomorrow I should take the time and make cutout cookies. It took me most of the afternoon, and I was rather tired of pink frosting by the time I got most of them frosted. I always forget how long it takes to frost cookies. I didn’t even get help with it since all my siblings we gone for the afternoon. But they look nice and taste good so that’s nice! : )

DSC04688 Before frosting,

DSC04695 After pink frosting!

DSC04697DSC04705

As I was frosting all these cookies I was thinking about Valentines day and hearts. It seems to me that Valentines day is another commercial holiday. All the hearts come out and all that goes with them. But after that my thoughts took a different turn. What about God’s love for us? Do I ever think of this on Valentines day?

“ In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” – I John 4:10

We know what love is only because God showed us, by giving us the great gift of all, His Son,

“For God so Loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” – John 3:16

“ Beloved, let us love one another for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God ….. because God is love," 1 John 4:7-8.

Have a Happy Valentines Day, remembering to thank God for His great love for you!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Lovely cookies! Thank you also for connecting Valentine's Day to God's love for us! It would also be interesting to do some research on St. Valentine. It has been a while since I heard the story, but I know it has nothing to do with cupids, pink hearts, and chocolates!

Amy said...

I considered making Valentine cookies this afternoon, but I decided against it because of how long frosting would take. : )

As for the real story behind the holiday, Valentine was a priest living in 3rd century Rome. Emperor Claudius decided to outlaw marriage so more men would want to join the army (because then they wouldn't worry about leaving their wives and families). Valentine kept performing marriage ceremonies despite the new law, so Claudius put him to death on February 14th, 269 A.D.

There you have it!

Em said...

Thanks for the story behind the day Amy!