Friday, November 15, 2013

Stories from Counterpoint Class

3:00 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday finds me sitting in my counterpoint class, wondering "What will happen in this class today?".

Lately Dr. S---- has been in a good mood- probably mostly because we are studying fugues, and being an organist, she likes fugues.  The other day after listening a fugue, she made the comment "It's just a romp!"  (Somehow, I don't think I quite agree- but that is beside the point.)  After which, she made some other comment about  having fun with fugues. Then a classmate suggested that she should have a TV show and it could be called "Fun with Fugues."  Dr. S---- found this quite funny, and it livened up the class.

Today we were continuing our study of fugues. We were sent to the blackboard, with chalk in hand, to write the exposition (the opening) of a 4 voice fugue. There we were, trying to whip out a fugue in 40 minutes, I managed to create something that sounded decent, but decided early in the semester that I could never be another Bach. 

This weekend our assignment is to re harmonize a Bach chorale melody, in the style that Bach's style- Please wish me luck--- Bach had an incredible mind, and it's going to be challenging to write something in his style with harmonies that change 1 or 2 times per beat.



~~~ Totally off the subject, but Spanish spelling is creeping in to my English writing - while composing post I kept spelling "class" as "clase" and then trying to figure out why it didn't look right... Maybe there is hope for me.  ~~~

1 comment:

Emily said...

HAHAHA! I would totally watch a show called Fun with Fugues. Bach is amazing, and I love his music more and more when I discover how complicated it is. But it seems futile to even try to imitate him! Alas.