Saturday, June 22, 2013

In 6 hours…

85 broilers went from this:

DSC09441

To this:

DSC09481

I think they look better in the second picture! Winking smile  and I have no desire to take pictures of what happens between the first picture and the second picture…

And since I am taking a summer class in statistics, I thought I would share the following information that I complied with the data of the chicken weights.  Some of our chickens we leave whole and others we cut in half. So I did two separate sets of statistics.

The whole chickens:

* had a mean (average) weight of 6.011 lbs

* had a range of 4.05 pounds, (the minimum was 3.8 lbs and the maximum was 7.85 lbs. )  --- But in all reality, it was just one chicken on each side of the data that set these extremes.

* The graph below shows the frequency of each weigh (in pounds). And you can see that the data has what is called a normal distribution which is when the frequencies start low, then increase, peak, and then decrease again, and the graph is approximately symmetrical.  [Sorry if that’s a confusing sentence]

Histogram for chicken whole

(the x values are pounds)

And the halves

* had a mean (average) weight of 3.10 lbs

* had a range of 1.91 lbs (with the lightest one weighing 2.17 lbs and the heaviest one weighing 4.08.

* and a graph,  notice that this one lacks the symmetry that the previous graph had, thus this set of data does not have a normal distribution.

Histogram for chicken halves

(again the x values are pounds)

And to “sum” it all up,  here are a couple more statistics.

* The overall mean weight of the chickens would be 6.05 lbs.

* We ended up about 273 lbs of chicken today.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

Wow, very impressive! :D