Tuesday, May 1, 2012

HAPPY MAY DAY!!

This morning during chores I remembered that it was May 1st,which means it’s May day. Then, I had memories of years when it’s been very difficult to find flowers on May day. When I was younger I used to desperately search the woods for a couple flowers to leave on my Grandma’s door step. With the early spring this year, the spring flowers have already been out for several weeks.  For whatever reason, I had the urge to carry out the May day tradition, even though I haven’t done it for a number of years. However, a glance at the barn clock, said that I didn’t have time because I had to leave for school before long. So I sighed, repressed my urge, and headed to school. 
But all day, I had a longing to pick flowers.  So when I got home from school a little earlier than I thought I would, I scurried through evening chores, and hiked to the woods. Although some flowers were already starting to close for the evening, I found lots of flowers still partly open. The woods is blanketed in flowers right now!  Then, I showed up at my Grandma’s front door. Now, I know that traditionally you are supposed to knock on the door, run, and hide. But when you live in the country, and your Grandma doesn’t have much to hide behind, it limits your options. So I decided to deliver mine with a hug!  I had a pleasantly surprised Grandma!  


The moral of the story… Be careful what you think about during morning chores. You never know what it may lead to!   

3 comments:

Grace said...

Our violin teacher asked us yesterday if we were going to go home and romp in the flowers.

Amy said...

HA! Did you?

G'ma said...

Thanks, Em!! That sure made my day!! There was even a white adder tongue in the bouquet!