Sunday, June 17, 2012

Alaska

DSC08096
Here are the pictures that I promised in my last post. Most of them are just scenery pictures. This trip was an amazing glimpse at some of God’s creation, and pictures don’t do it justice. While on a glacier tour in the Prince William Sound, I got to experience a “calving” (this is what they call it when a hunk of ice falls off the glacier). I saw several small calvings and then a huge piece of one broke off. We felt the wakes that that one made.   I didn’t even try to count all the glaciers we saw, because there were lots of them. Most of them have names and in one area they were named after Wisconsin Colleges!  As for wildlife, I saw moose, (even baby moose!), doll sheep, mountain goats, sea lions, seals, and millions of black-legged Kittiwakes ( a gull-like bird).  I can now say that I have been on most modes of transportation, within 48 hours I traveled by car, train, boat, and airplane.  I liked them all. 
Mountains
DSC07983DSC08045DSC08069DSC08123DSC08175DSC08179DSC08186DSC08190DSC08197
DSC08239
Trains- the blue and yellow one is the one we rode on!
DSC08258DSC08262DSC08301
Grandma, Aunt Gail, and Jacob
The Glacier tour – the boat
DSC08329DSC08344
Our wake
DSC08377
One of the many glaciers we saw.
DSC08387
If we look a little wet in this picture it’s because we were. It rained most of the time we were on the boat. Thankfully the cabins were heated, and if there were places you could stand outside without getting to wet. Despite the cold and rain, I spent as much time as I could outside the cabin. It was more fun to be out!
DSC08401
Another glacier
DSC08417
A hanging glacier
Water falls!
DSC08445DSC08465
We got really close to this waterfall!
DSC08493
The last part of the tour was viewing a rookie, it’s the largest kittiwakes rookie in the world. Every white dot is a bird. (This is also where we saw the mountain goats.)
DSC08504DSC08510DSC08525
The world’s largest chocolate waterfall.  It’s 20 feet tall and contains 3,400 pounds of real chocolate. Now that is a lot of chocolate!
photo
photo 2
Baby moose with Mamma…
IMG_1585
Leaving Alaska 7:20 in the morning (Alaska time)
DSC08570DSC08573
Arrived home at 11:00 p.m. our time (3 hours difference in time zones)
DSC08597DSC08602DSC08604
Fun trip, but so glad to be home!

No comments: